The death toll from the Beirut explosion has passed 100, with the number of those wounded by the huge blast at 4000.
A Red Cross official who was quoted by Daily Star said the death toll had risen to at least 100, with more than 4,000 people injured.
Beirut governor Marwan Abboud in an interview with a radio station said more than 100 people are missing, including several firefighters.
“Beirut has never gone through what it went through yesterday,” Abboud said.
READ ALSO: MP dies after contracting COVID-19
Hospitals in the country are already struggling with medical supplies due to the economic crisis in the Middle East nation. According to reports, medical supplies, which were being stored near to the site of the blast, were destroyed in the explosion.
Beirut residents, desperate to find their loved ones, are sharing pictures of missing relatives, as well as phone numbers online. On Instagram, a page, locatevictimsbeirut, has been created to locate people in the aftermath of the deadly explosion.
On Tuesday, August 4, the Lebanese capital, Beirut, was rocked by two huge explosions at the port which sent an enormous blast wave across the city, killing several people and injuring thousands.
Lebanon’s Supreme Defence Council has recommended declaring Beirut a disaster-stricken city, declaring a two-week state of emergency in the capital and handing over security responsibilities to military authorities.
Ammonium Nitrate stored in a warehouse has been linked to the deadly Beirut explosion.
Lebanon’s Prime Minister Hassan Diab said that 2,750 metric tons of ammonium nitrate, which is mostly used as an agricultural fertilizer, had been stored for six years at a port warehouse without safety measures.